Olympic torchbearer burned slightly
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- Leaking gas from an Olympic torch flared up Wednesday, causing a minor burn to a young bearer on the relay, organizers and police said.
Flame burst from the torch 12-year-old Tahnee Clydesdale was holding as she tried to light it from one held by the previous runner at Belconnen in Australia's capital, Canberra.
A shocked Clydesdale dropped the torch to the ground. A substitute torch was quickly found and she was able to continue her leg of the torch relay, organizers said.
A doctor traveling with torch relay organizers later treated the schoolgirl for a minor burn to her thumb, a spokeswoman said.
"We have had something like 11,000 torchbearers since the relay began in Greece and this is the first time anything like this has happened," the spokeswoman said. "We will be checking and double checking from now on to make sure it doesn't happen again."
She said it appeared that a nozzle which regulates the gas flow from the torch had fallen out shortly before Clydesdale tried to light it, allowing more than the usual amount of gas to escape.