Canada's top companies keep employees engaged
The fourth annual list of the 50 best companies to work for in Canada, according to global HR outsourcing and consulting firm Hewitt Associates, has just been released. This year, it analyzed data from more than 59,000 employees at 128 organizations from a variety of industries that applied to be considered as best companies.
This year's findings further defined what past best companies studies have already discovered: an engaged workforce is essential for a great workplace. Engaged employees are those who have an intense desire to be a member of the organization, they speak positively about their employer, and they exert extra effort and engage in work that contributes to business success.
In order to capture the hearts and minds of their employees, this year's study revealed best companies are more likely to:
Have a leadership team that places more importance on the people aspect of the business.
Do the basics very well.
Connect employees to the business.
Implement people practices that support the business strategy.
Offer a greater variety of career development tools.
1. BC Biomedical Laboratories Ltd., Surrey, B.C.
2. Janssen-Ortho Inc., Toronto, Ont.
3. Flight Centre Ltd., Toronto, Ont.
4. Edward Jones Canada, Mississauga, Ont.
5. EllisDon Corporation, London, Ont.
6. Crystal Decisions, Inc., Vancouver, B.C.
7. Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc., Toronto, Ont.
8. Intuit Canada Limited, Edmonton, Alta.
9. Chubb Insurance Company of Canada, Toronto, Ont.
10. Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc., Toronto, Ont.
11. Aventis Pharma Inc., Laval, Que.
12. PCL Construction Group Inc., Edmonton, Alta.
13. Golder Associates Ltd., Burnaby, B.C.
14. Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Markham, Ont.
15. Pfizer Canada Pharmaceuticals Group, Kirkland, Que.
16. Delta Hotels Limited, Toronto, Ont.
17. JTI-Macdonald Corp., Toronto, Ont.
18. S.C. Johnson and Son, Limited, Brantford, Ont.
19. The Maritime Life Assurance Company, Halifax, N.S.
20. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc., Dorval, Que.
21. Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc., Toronto, Ont.
22. MDS Sciex, Concord, Ont.
23. AstraZeneca Canada Inc., Mississauga, Ont.
24. Federal Express Canada Ltd., Mississauga, Ont.
25. GlaxoSmithKline Inc., Mississauga, Ont.
26. The CUMIS Group Ltd., Burlington, Ont.
27. QLT Inc., Vancouver, B.C.
28. Hudson's Bay Company, Toronto, Ont.
29. Ericsson Canada Inc., Town of Mount Royal, Que.
30. IMS HEALTH Canada, Pointe-Claire, Que.
31. ACNielsen Company of Canada Limited, Markham, Ont.
32. Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited, Toronto, Ont.
33. McDonald's Restaurants of Canada Ltd., Toronto, Ont.
34. Bennett Jones LLP, Calgary, Alta.
35. Eli Lilly Canada Inc., Toronto, Ont.
36. Shell Canada Limited, Calgary, Alta.
37. Nexen Inc., Calgary, Alta.
38. Standard Aero Limited, Winnipeg, Man.
39. Keg Restaurants Ltd., Vancouver, B.C.
40. Unilever Canada Limited, Toronto, Ont.
41. Dofasco Inc., Hamilton, Ont.
42. Dundee Realty Corporation, Toronto, Ont.
43. Chemco Electrical Contractors Ltd., Edmonton, Alta.
44. Electronic Arts (Canada) Inc., Burnaby, B.C.
45. RBC Financial Group, Toronto, Ont.
46. Accenture Inc. Canada, Toronto, Ont.
47. Envision Financial, Langley, B.C.
48. Dun & Bradstreet Canada Inc., Mississauga, Ont.
49. Maritz Canada Inc., Mississauga, Ont.
50. Xerox Canada Inc., Toronto, Ont.
Big brother is watching you
Jumping on the 'brand' wagon
UP & RUNNING- Build a better business than your boss
HEALTH CONNECTION- U of T hosts ALS chair
YOUTH FORCE- No Grade 12 diploma not an obstacle
Think work is boring?
THE NATIONAL JOB FAIR- A world of opportunities
THE NATIONAL JOB FAIR- A world of knowledge awaits job seekers
THE NATIONAL JOB FAIR- Put your best foot forward
THE NATIONAL JOB FAIR- Maximize your prospects
2005 Archives --
2003 Archives --