News StoriesSports StoriesToday StoriesBusiness StoryOpinion StoriesWeekly SectionsClassifiedsContact Us
    LFP Home  | Special Reports  | Photo Gallery  | Federal Election  | D-Day Feature  | Pope John Paul II

Subscribe to the London Free Press

Man charged in girl-dragging incident

Eye scans proposed for drivers' licences

Five robberies linked

Students survive rollover in bus

Minister sees mad cow deal closer

Back chief, Mohawks urged

Plan to attract doctors kicks off

Students hail plagiarism check ruling

UWO gives boost to United Way

Lawyer raps eroded democracy

Clement joins race

Layton plays Copps issue to the hilt

Provinces want more health-care money from Martin

Family seeks $1.85M in friendly fire suit

Letter affirms missile plan intent

Canadian back from Syrian jail

Ohio ape has Nfld. moniker

Car thief leaves streakers stranded

Canuck place in U.S. space race costly

NASA rover finally rolls onto Mars

Shiites demand elections

Suicide bomber gets hero's funeral

Militants blamed for Pakistan blast

Canadian troops set for rotation

Fears of smuggling ease

Dwarf-tossing show set for London

Londoner to push city hall sex complaint

Cutback makes no sense

Two killed in crash

Couple admits to abuse

London Free Press Business Section:


Canadian back from Syrian jail

Muayyed Nureddin had tried to return home through Syria from his native Iraq.
CP   2004-01-16 03:36:36  

TORONTO -- A Canadian citizen arrested by Syrian authorities more than a month ago looked haggard and nervous yesterday as he arrived home full of gratitude for the officials who secured his release. Syrian authorities released Muayyed Nureddin more than a month after he tried to return home through Syria from his native Iraq. He was travelling with his brother, Ahmed, who last saw him Dec. 11.

"I would like to thank the Canadian government and the Canadian Embassy in Jordan . . . for their work, who worked very, very hard to release me from Syria," Nureddin said after arriving at Pearson International Airport on a flight from Amsterdam.

"I believe without their efforts, I (would) not be out in such a short time."

Nureddin, who sweated profusely and looked nervous during his brief statement, wouldn't talk about how he was treated in Syria, nor did he answer other questions from a crush of reporters who greeted him.

"I'm glad to be home and I'm tired," he said. "I need a few days to relax."

Nureddin, 36, an Iraqi-born geologist who came to Canada in 1994, was a former principal at the Salaheddin Islamic school in Toronto.

Nureddin's friend, Tawfik Kettanah, said he also wants to know the details of why Nureddin was being held in Syria, but is more worried for the moment about the welfare of his friend.

"To see why he was detained, find out what the charges are, that's what we care about," Kettanah said. "I just want to see he's OK, that's what matters for now."

Kettanah has said Nureddin's school and the Salaheddin mosque have both been closely monitored by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and that in September, CSIS agents questioned him about Nureddin a week after he drove his friend to the airport for the trip to Iraq.

Foreign Affairs aide Andre Lemay said consular officials began working with Syrian officials to secure Nureddin's release as soon as they learned he was being held in the capital, Damascus.

He said the department had been "specifically asked (by the family) not to release the information" on why Nureddin had been detained.

Copyright © The London Free Press 2001,2002,2003

News | Sports | Business | Today | Opinion | Weekly Sections | Classifieds

Important Links:
Place an Ad | Subscribe | Become a Carrier | Email Directory | Customer Service
Comments | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement

CANOE Your Internet Network CNEWS

The Next London.  You're Invited!

Places of Worship

Auto  Seller

London this Week Auto Market

Hot Jobs

Movie Listings on Jam!

Career connection


London Pennysaver

London This Week